Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What happened to network TV?

My blogging efforts failed to pay off for The Class. It's a goner. Dead. Failed.

I'm sad because it was a good premise and had promise. It was that show you could turn on and not have to think about what terrorist was threatening to kill Americans this week or why in the hell is a polar bear on a tropical island? It was brainless, yet smart comedy that made me laugh out loud at least once per episode. And it was Pete's favorite show too. Let us take a moment of silence for The Class.

On a similar note, what in the hell is happening to network TV? Why is 24 the absolute worst show this season? Last year nothing could touch it and now I count down the digital real-time clock until it can finally just be over. And the new shows coming out next year don't look that promising either.

First, why aren't networks picking up good comedies? It's really sad when Two and Half Men is the most watched comedy on TV. Really?! Second, what is WITH the premises for these new shows? Look at the descriptions for some of the shows coming out next year and shake your head in disbelief with me...

Cane, a sprawling saga about a Cuban-American family running a rum business in South Florida, starring Jimmy Smits, Hector Elizondo and Rita Moreno.
-- BORING! Who cares about a rum business?

Moonlight, about an "undead" private eye who protects the living instead of feeding on them, but has eyes for an ambitious reporter.
-- Umm, are we STILL making shows about vampires?

Cavemen, Geico's commercial pitchmen, are a metaphor for everyday discrimination as they live normal lives in Atlanta.
-- Commercial, funny. Sitcom? Really?!

Life, a cop drama about a detective returned to the force after being falsely imprisoned.
- Wow, that's original.

And the worst part of all of this, we've yet to hear what Fox is bringing to the table next year. I should really start reading books.

3 comments:

Christoff said...

Did you hear about the new sitcom I think it is gonna be on the WB, It's about a guy who has a surgery that makes his big toe detect terrorists, only problem is he has athletes foot, laughter will ensue, I can't wait for this one. Ok i made this up but I would watch someone sticking there toe at people.

Pete said...

The Class didn't make it...what shall I do with my time? Maybe watch great comedies like the Office, Earl, 30 Rock, Sunny in Philly, Bobby's World. It's time for the Class fans to build a bridge and get over it, like a bridge over troubled water. I'm 25 and I laugh when I see a Klondike Bar because it has "Dike" in the name and I like lesbians. Funny lesbians I like.

S.S. said...

Sounds like you're having a hard time getting over "The Class" too. Think we should start a support group?