Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Other U.S. Open

When I think of the U.S. Open, I immediately and only think of the obvious tennis tournament held in late August in Queens, NY. You know, the one Roger Federer has won for the past four years? Well, out of complete boredom and perhaps because of all of the golf-themed Father's Day cards I was perusing the other day, I tuned into the U.S. Open golf tournament for the first extended period of time in my life and I have to say I enjoyed it.

After a while I started getting just as excited as I do during tennis tournaments. Of course, I know just enough about golf to understand and enjoy what I am watching and who doesn't know about the legend of Tiger Woods? I've willingly tuned into some tournaments to watch a little of the action, but it was never as exciting to me as it was last night.

Tiger's back nine play on Saturday night seemed nothing short of mastery. Battling an injured knee and tee shots deep in the rough, Tiger's "comeback" started to reminded me of Pete Sampras' epic battle with Alex Corretja in the 1996 U.S. Open. After hearing the roar of the fans when Tiger eagled hole 13, it was impossible not to feel excited. I even started thinking that I may need to start taking some golf lessons so I can enjoy the game more. Maybe for the time being I will just try to master Wii Golf.

I always wondered why Father's Day and golf seemed so synonymous - now because of the U.S. Open tournament, I understand.

2 comments:

Christoff said...

You need to start golfing, it is the best excuse ever to get away for half a day and drink.

Christoff said...

Oh yeah I miss the Media-Mcnuggets....bring them back, and make sure it is the all white meat version. Wow I just read that and it sounded really racist, not what i meant, you know when McDonald's changed them to all white meat, I know, obscure reference. Obama loves me, Outtie 5000