Friday, September 19, 2008

Ka-Ching! ... Not

I will be the first to admit that I know very little about money. I've taken the advice of many and invested in 401K and 403B plans, but in all honesty, I have no idea what they are. I just know what they are supposed to do for me in the future.

What I am smart enough to grasp, however, is that this most recent financial crisis is absolutely maddening. Two days ago both presidential candidates opposed any sort of government bailout of financial giant AIG. By the end of that day, when news was announced that the government was pumping almost $600 billion to bailout AIG, both candidates changed their tune, saying that it was necessary in order for our financial system to survive.

This morning news came that the government is also going to assume almost $500 billion dollars in bad bank debt, which was created when banks practically started giving away mortgages like candy. If you're keeping tabs here, that's $1.1 TRILLION dollars that the tax payers -- yes, that's you and me -- must now pay. Math proof time -- $1.1 trillion divided by roughly 301 million Americans equals about $3,650 extra that we are going to have to pay in taxes to clean up Wall Street's mess. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't have $3,650 just sitting around. How does the government suggest we pay this when gas prices are at record levels, the price to heat and cool our homes keeps rising, a gallon of milk is $4.50, and employers can't even promise to keep up with the COLA - or that you will even have a job next year - due to budget cuts?

This whole system just doesn't make any sense to me - and I consider myself a pretty smart person. Is there anyone in our government looking out for the average American? All I know is that a relocation to Switzerland is looking more and more appealing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey S.S.,

I noticed your list of the top albums of 2007. It was a great list, especially John Mayers album. One of my personal favorites last year.

My name is Ryan and I'm from JamsBio, a social community to share your life through music. I am reaching out to you and a few other bloggers in hopes that you'll want to participate in one of our upcoming promotions. You may want to try them out and even share your honest opinion by posting a review on your blog.

We have two promotions this coming week that might interest you and your readers. (Our last promotion -- called SongBlitz Megachallenge -- received over 1,300 Diggs in one day!) Let me know if you'd like more information, links, images, etc.:

* Top-5 Lists (http://www.jamsbio.com/lists): Create a top 5 list from best albums to worst artist. Make a list and share with your readers so they can comment on it or make changes to it.

* $50/$50 Challenge (http://www.jamsbio.com/games): For a week, the top scoring players each day for both JamsMatch and SongBlitz will win $50. So that's two games, two winners, every day, starting Monday, September 22.


On another note, we're partnering with lots of music artists and labels in the coming months -- including U2 (starting 9/30) and Bob Dylan (10/14) -- and would love to build a relationship with your site. My supervisor Clint Schaff and I hope to work with you, and would love to discuss or provide more information via email, if you're interested.

Thanks!


P.S. JamsBio encourages full transparency; please feel free to share with your readers that we contacted you.

Christoff said...

See the thing is we are not going to pay for this directly through taxes. In order to have the money to bailout all of these financial institutions the govt. either, printed the money, or borrowed from foreign sources. We are going to feel the effect from inflation. I know your feeling and I have been there for years. It seems to me that it is Economics 101 that if you print more money to buyout bad mortgages all your doing is spreading the debt. they should have just let the market work itself out, in the long run it would have been better. This is why I am voting Libertarian, it seems they are the only party who gets it. Republicans and Democrats can kiss my ass.

Toff out

S.S. said...

Toff angry! Feed Toff!