Friday, January 5, 2007

Wait...It's January right?

I just went outside at 9:00 p.m. and it's 60 degrees. Now this would be normal if I lived in Florida or California, but I don't. I live in Maryland. And this is just weird.

Tomorrow, we might break a record. It's supposed to be 72 degrees. Again, I must reiterate that I live in Maryland, which is not a place known for it's tropical climate in the dead of winter. We've had 25 days in a row where our temperature has exceeded our average high temperature, some days by more than 20 degrees. I also just read that it was the first December in 130-some years that New York City didn't have one day with snow. In the words of Joe Schmo, "What is going on?"

People at my office keep saying how great the weather is. In a way it is nice to go outside and not worry about freezing to death. But when it's winter, I kind of expect for it to be cold outside and frankly, I'm bothered that it's not. Is this something that we should just start expecting? 70 degree days in January? Rain instead of snow? Thunderstorms and tornadoes in winter?

I just recently watched Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth and it's scary. What are we doing to our climate? Can one person really change the situation? It seems like we're digging a hole that one day we won't be able to get out of. I for one am not ready to accept 130 degree summer days. I can't imagine winter without snow.

Maybe I'm just being dramatic. Maybe it's just El Nino and next winter will be back to normal. And with that thought, I'll leave you with this. Don't forget to use public transportation and conserve energy.

1 comment:

Pete said...

I'm pretty sure it's warm out because Aunt Honey decided to start baking cookies, setting her oven at a toasty 350 degrees, offsetting the United States temperature. If only we can get her to buy fake homemade cookies, then our weather will be normal again. I just saw your graphic at the top of the page and actually spit water out of my mouth. (And there wasn't even any water in there to begin with!)