Sunday, July 8, 2007

Five Consecutive Years!


Why is Roger Federer so awesome? Is it because he conquered his nerves and a title-hungry Spaniard named Rafa to win this year's Wimbledon? Is it because for the fifth year in a row he is the Wimbledon champion, tying Bjorn Borg's record? Is it because this was his 11th straight grand slam final? Is it because he has been in 13 career grand slam finals and has 11 grand slam titles? Is it because his last name ends in two consecutive er's? All of the above!

Watching Roger Federer play tennis is like watching Swan Lake at the best theater in the world. It's like staring for hours at the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. It's like eating Creme Brule at the place where Creme Brule was invented. I could watch him play for hours and still be excited about it up until the very end. I normally always route for the underdog, but until the day Federer retires, I will always be cheering him on.

In a way, he is the underdog -- the underdog champion. With so much tennis greatness preceding his reign (Laver, Borg, McEnroe, Conners, Agassi, Sampras), he's got so much against him to breakthrough to the top of tennis history. So many commentators say, "If he can do this or he can do that, than he'll be staking his claim as the greatest of all time." Of course, that commentary was during the French Open against clay-god Nadal, a match which Federer unfortunately lost. But they always leave out the accomplishments that this 25 year-old has already achieved (see above). If he ever can breakthrough and win the French, I believe everyone will be referring to him as "the greatest" rather than "among the greatest." Even if he fails to win the French, he'll still be the greatest in my eyes (sorry Sampras).

3 comments:

TraySeaDS4 said...

YAY FOR FEDER-ER!!!! :)

Christoff said...

He has a total of 3 er's in his name, Rog-er Fed-er-er I think I should change my last name to Huffermaner then I would have 3 also, then I be the greatest at, ahh , I would be good at something.

S.S. said...

Stervener Sprouserer - new name. It's final