Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Missing Cereal Toys

I went for a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch this morning and for some reason I got sad. I couldn't identify where this sadness was coming from, then suddenly, like the feeling you have to poop after eating a greasy burrito, it came to me. I was missing those cheesy cereal toys that used to be hidden among the Pops, Charms and Pebbles.

What ever happened to those toys? It's not like they were anything special, because honestly, the only cereal "toy" I remotely remember "finding" was a slap bracelet. But remember how exciting it was to stick your entire arm down a big box of cereal upon first opening it and wiggling your hands around like you were doing some type of jazz hands routine, the suspense mounting with every passing second? Half of the cereal would spill all over the table, the box would be ripped down the side, but then...get it...get it...GOT IT! A troll to put on top of my pencil. Great. These days it seems like you have to collect 10 UPC codes, mail in a registration form and write it off on your taxes just to get a Suite Life of Zach and Cody charm bracelet.

I'm not sure how long ago they stopped putting toys in cereal -- I just don't eat cereal that often -- but I'm sure I know why. My guess is that some idiot sued a cereal company after "unexpectedly" finding a toy in their cereal bowl and almost chocking on it. How does that happen? It's not like cereal is SOOO good that you have to blindly shove it in your mouth like the Apocalypse is coming any minute. Wouldn't you realize you had a huge toy wrapped in plastic sitting on your spoon before you went to take a bite? Even more, wouldn't you realize it had fallen out of the box while you were pouring the cereal? In my opinion, it's really hard to mistake a Matchbox car for a Fruit Loop. I suppose my reasoning is only speculation , and therefore, I should not get angry about it.

Here's hoping that next time I grab for a box of Trix, a pretty picture that says, "Shrek Bobble Head Inside!" is plastered on the front of the box.

7 comments:

Pete said...

This one time I stuck my hand down inside a cereal box and I pulled out a handfull of cereal. Moral of the story: Don't leave Mississippi.

TraySeaDS4 said...

This is my favorite part....

"These days it seems like you have to collect 10 UPC codes, mail in a registration form and write it off on your taxes just to get a Suite Life of Zach and Cody charm bracelet."

Who the hell are Zach and Cody??

One time, Jessie and I bought like 10 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios just to get a pink slap bracelet. And then there was only one so we fought over it....

Moral of the story: Jump over cracks in the sidewalk - you don't want to break your mother's back.....do you?

S.S. said...

I love how it's only you two that read this blog. How do I expand my audience?

Trace...you need to Google Suite life and Zach and Cody immediately, see who the stars are and put it all together.

I love how you and Jessie fought over the slap bracelet. When I was writing this, I was trying to think of those toys, they were like Micromini's or something like that; similar to Matchbox cars, but smaller, I guess. The advertisement was done by that guy who talked really fast. He was also the teacher on Saved by the Bell, Mr. Testaverdi, who was giving that really hard American history quiz, so Zach called him to say the school was flooded. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Marsandle said...

I LOVE how trace doesnt know who Zach and Cody are. DUH TRACE. we used to watch Disney channel for life!! You are a really great writer. Im glad you went public with this blog...and Im glad now we are friends reunited over the classic cereal debate.

S.S. said...

Lets all welcome Jenny to the blog!...(pause)...HI JENNY!

Pete said...

hi jenny!!

man i need a job

S.S. said...

classic Pete, just classic.