Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Imus Schmimus


I just couldn't hold myself back from talking about this whole Don Imus "controversy" any longer. The problem in my situation is that I don't even know the original comments that reignited this whole debate on sexism and racism in our country. If I'm being honest, I don't even really know who Don Imus is. I know he has a radio show that's also televised, but who doesn't have their own show or soapbox these days? Anyway, I digress.

Why is it that anytime someone says something remotely sexist or racist it dominates the airwaves for an entire week, as if the whole country is glued to their seats wondering what will happen to Don Imus next? The worst is how talk shows (yes Today Show, I'm talking about you) try to turn the story into something positive. Today I heard that this situation is "A great opportunity to open up the dialog on sexism, racism and contradiction in our society." I thought Michael Richard's racist remark was going to open up that dialog. If not him, I was certain that Mel Gibson's Malibu meltdown would be the catalyst to solve all of our problems.

People, just get over it. The state of racism, sexism, classism, ageism, and every other ism won't change overnight just like I won't wake up tomorrow and change what cereal I eat for breakfast or what types of music I do and don't like. People are set in their ways and that's that. So I suggest we stop talking about Don Imus and continue talking about Sanjaya and Britney Spears, the things that really matter.

No comments: